Thursday, August 6, 2009

Let's Fire the ZRP and Start Again

The goddamn city is teeming with traffic cops. If I get stopped at a roadblock one more time I’m going to commit perpendicular vehicular homicide (I don’t know either, dammit. Don’t you listen to music?). But I’m getting ahead of myself. Some people might get the idea that I have something against the police.
The fact is: I do. I can’t stand the ZRP. I know their motto is not “to serve and to protect” (that one is for the LAPD, or NYPD, or both, not sure), but what the hell is the ZRP motto, actually? Do they have one? Isn’t it a travesty that we all know the motto of the NYPD even though 90% of us have never set foot in North America, let alone New York, yet we are hard pressed to repeat the motto of our own national police force, whose members diligently harass us, excuse me, serve us daily?

These guys really get my goat. (I hung out with a white friend this week, can you tell?) I wouldn’t have so much against the ZRP if, for all their pervasiveness, they actually accomplished something. Some yellow-eyed varmint scaled my durawall AND my electric fence somehow last night and managed to steal my borehole pump. Of course, one robbery does not an incompetent national police force make. But these and worse incidences are becoming more common in Harare. Yet, last week I was detained for almost an hour by our boys in, er, vomit green. And my crime? Not having a bloody radio license.

Just writing about this is making my spleen ache. Let me briefly go into this incident in all its glorious stupidity. I was stopped at a roadblock on my way to see my mother-in-law. It is a measure of my abhorrence for our police force that I preferred to rush to that destination rather than stop and chat with the police, as engaging as their conversation might be. After taking my driver’s license and then asking for every piece of paperwork that he could possibly think of, short of my marriage certificate, the idiot cop – who had a strange, spheroid head, navy-blue gums and a suspiciously red tongue that had the amazing ability to continually lick his cracked lips without imparting any moisture to them – then took his time to slowly circle my car and check it for any faults. After realizing that I even had the stupid cut-out reflectors they make us stick on our bumpers (notwithstanding the fact that all cars manufactured after 1980 have built-in reflectors in the taillights) the Devil finally gave him a break and handed him a weekend present.

DIM-WITTED COP (DWC): Eh, mdhara, ko tipeiwo ka license.

ME (ME): Ha shamari, inga ndakupa wani, license rawakabata iro? Urikumbodei?

DWC: Ndirikuita basa rangu mfana, usaite zve rough, hantika? Because kana zva zve rough tese tinozvigona, wazvinwa? Right. Tipe radio license tione?

Deeply annoyed but failing to manufacture a plausible excuse in the heat of the moment, I looked at him combatively and exhaled.

ME: Sha, urikundi delaya, radio license rei, I don’t listen to that rubbish on radio, ndinoridza iPod.

DWC: iPodhi? Ndochii ichocho?

ME: Iyi iPod, (showing him my slick black 16GB iPod) I don’t listen to local radio shamari, so I don’t see why I should finance their programming.

DWC: Ho nhai, tione kanhu kacho (taking said slick black 16GB iPod).

ME: …… (wanting to curse but deciding not to antagonize the idiot anymore since, actually, I had no acceptable excuse for not having the senseless but nonetheless mandatory car radio license.)

You know the saying “trouble comes in threes”? It was written about me. First, I was already late to my appointment. Then, an idiot cop chooses me to help update his shockingly limited knowledge of post-millennial technology. And then…

Just as I began to ask if I could have my iPod back and leave, a white family in a Land Rover appeared to ignore one of the other douche-bag officer’s signals to stop. And this is where I saw that, contrary to popular belief, our ZRP officers learn so much more than how to march and salute at that hallowed training institution that is Morris Depot Academy.

This officer, with my driver’s license and slick, black 16GB iPod firmly in hand, immediately sprang into action. “Sprang” is actually an understatement. George Bush couldn’t have reacted quicker if Osama bin Laden had sprinted across the White House front lawn stark naked in broad daylight. The cop bolted to his twin-cab pickup which was parked nearby (yes, our traffic cops have made so much money that they now report for roadblock duty in their private cars, no lie), with a colleague hot on his heels, and took off in a cloud of dust after the Land Rover. For all the dramatics you would have thought they were setting off in pursuit of one of the most notorious armed robbers in the country.

So here I am, sitting in my car with my mouth agape in disbelief as this imbecile disappears into the distance with not only my driver’s license, but also my friggin’ iPod! How unprofessional is that? I’m beginning to think “Unprofessionalism” is a course they teach at Morris Depot, because all of our ZRP officers are especially talented in this area.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was stuck at this roadblock for an hour while I waited for these conscientious police officers to return with my property. I wasn’t surprised the chase took so long, it couldn’t have been very high speed. After all, the alleged armed robbers (two of whom were under ten years old, from what I could gather) were in a late model Land Rover while our Starsky and Hutch were in a 1995 Mazda twin-cab with an unbelievable top speed of 73 km/h. Seriously, what's the point in taking off on a chase in a vehicle that goes from 0 - 100km/h in...NEVER? It simply defies reason.

While waiting, I had to contend with the bitching of the other two cops who were left behind. As it turned out, just as the one officer forgot to hand my property back to me, the other officer forgot to leave the ticket book, rendering the remaining officers useless for the duration of the time. And boy, could these guys bitch. By the time I left I could have easily gone to police headquarters and applied to become the head of the ZRP Worker’s Committee because I had heard just about every single grievance that exists and has existed in the entire national police force for the past twenty-five years.

This is what upsets me: while our police officers are industriously hunting down criminals who dare to drive on the streets of Harare without a radio license, commuters are riding to work in kombis that have broken turn signals, snakeskin tyres, and rusted floors. Kombi drivers stop where and when they please, Highway Code be damned. Motorists routinely run red lights – in fact, I think if you don’t know how to run a red a light, you can’t get a driver’s licence anymore. Armed robbers are running amok – you are playing Russian Roulette if you are routinely one of the last shoppers in a supermarket in Harare these days. And worst of all unwashed scallywags are scaling our walls and stealing our boreholes!

This means I have to shower with City of Harare water. Again! GODDAMNIT!!

zakeozim@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. I know its not supposed to be funny but couldnt help laughing at this
    'George Bush couldn’t have reacted quicker if Osama bin Laden had sprinted across the White House front lawn stark naked in broad daylight.'
    As usual you are a brilliant writer absolutely love your blog but am so glad am not in Zim right now

    ReplyDelete